Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:04:25 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line

>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:
>

>> This discussion is getting really stupid......
>No doubt about that.
>

>> Look...all of the mentioned product work fine...if they didnt they none
>> of us would be in business. The original question of cisco 25XX  vs
>> ET is a simple one......
>
>Am I the only paranoid person on this list or are there other people
>that would not feel comfortable running FreeBsd as a router unless
>they were mirroring the disk. FreeBsd are great servers, but if
>anything fails it's the disk. I'd rather not have this extra
>risk on my routers.
>
>Also, for our customers we're happy with the Ascend Pipeline 130
>with built in CSU.  You can get one for less than $1200 it does
>Frame and even has an ISDN line for backup. These units
>are the same size of a Pipeline 50 -- not much bigger than most
>modems. Is a Freebsd box with a T1 card and a CSU any cheaper?

This is the same non-thinking argument that has been used for
a long time, and it makes no sense bacause you are not comparing
apples to apples. You still need a server with a standalone router,
so you have 2 points of failure instead of 1 (with an internal card).

This subject annoyed us enough that we put up a FAQ of
routers vs sync cards at:

http://www.etinc.com/routers.htm

no doubt somewhat biased, but entertaining nonetheless!

Dennis