Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:36:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        Al Johnson <Al.Johnson@AJC.State.Net>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HP LaserJet 6L

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Al Johnson wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm trying to migrate all my ciritical functions from Win95 to FreeBSD.
> Ya, I hear you all groaning now :)  Since I'm no expert at this, been a
> long time since I was a unix sysadmin, I need assistance with the filters
> needed for this printer.  I have successfully printed plain text on the
> HP from the directly connected system sort of.  An lptest > /dev/lpt0
> gets me a sheet of paper with a single line printed on it.  Obvisouly not
> what it's supposed to generate.  Anyone with a filter or an adequate printcap
> definition for this (or just about any PCL) printer I would really appreciate
> an email copy.

I'm not sure but all i think HP printers need is a linefeed added after a
carriage return for each cr.

> In addition, is there any special setup required to get the appropriate
> conversion from a Win95 print job to the printer via Samba?

If you can wait a bit, i'll have some info up on my webpage at:
http://www.cs.sunyit.edu/~perlsta
in 1-3 days

basically all you need to do is give Samba access to the printer as almost
a raw device but configure samba to tell win95 what printer driver to use.

Alfred