Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 14:26:45 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO C1 Picturebook

At 30/05/99, you wrote:
>I'm talking about the C1 in comparison to the 505.  The screen
>is fine with me.  I just can't figure out how to install
>FreeBSD on it, since I can't boot floppies (usb floppy is
>not yet supported).  A parallel port usb is supported and I
>could connect to another machine that way, but I still can't
>boot install floppies.
>
>And FBSDBOOT.EXE is according to -current messages (if I
>can summarize to the best of what I can gather from the slew
>of messages) not usable with elf.  I could, I suppose, try
>an old (say, 3.1) cd and try to use install.bat and/or
>FBSDBOOT.exe.  Otherwise, I don't know.  Try to boot an
>image from the hard drive while in Win98?

If you have a spare box, I strongly suggest to remove the internal HD and
get a connector to use it in the place of the "normal" HD. I have bought
one and I usually use it to install the system for toshiba libretto. When
you have finished to install FreeBSD you put the HD in Sony Vaio again...
I know it is long and boring operation, but sometimes it is the last
chance... :-)

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it