Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 20:32:32 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@iDaemons.org>
Cc:        portmgr@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, nakai@FreeBSD.org, dr@domix.de, demon@FreeBSD.org, gnome@FreeBSD.org, mi@aldan.algebra.com, ijliao@FreeBSD.org, andreas@FreeBSD.org, roman@xpert.com, greg@hewgill.com, jedgar@FreeBSD.org, jmz@FreeBSD.org, samy@goldmoon.org, dirk@FreeBSD.org, kanou@mil.allnet.ne.jp
Subject:   Re: Introducing USE_BZIP2{CMD,LIB,RUN} and BZIP2BASE

Akinori MUSHA wrote:

> > a) provides smooth deorbiting path for archivers/bzip2 port;
>
> It doesn't make sense.  How can you call your stub port strategy
> "smooth deorbiting"?

;)

The plan is: we provide stub until there is significant demand for using
latest ports collection on not-so-stable machines (4.3 before bzip2 MFC and
down). Eventually we just delete the stub and remove obsolete
LIB/RUN_DEPENDS from ports tree.

> [...]
> > 2) past experience shows that there is a significant resistance for
> >    removing support for obsolete options from bsd.port.mk (think about
> >    USE_NEWGCC, USE_PERL5 etc.)
>
> No rumors, please.  We could drop them RIGHT NOW if we want.  Ports
> Collection no longer officially supports legacy systems like 3.x, and
> making those variables nops wouldn't hurt anything.

It aren't rumours, but people's psychology. We've seen it in past and I sure
will see in the future. Each time we are trying to get rid of them somebody
pops up, who for some very solid reason can't upgrade but need an up-to-date
ports collection, so after some maillist spammage we deciding to keep it for
another couple of months. For example we still have some rudimentary support
for aout in our bsd.port.mk, while 2.2.x is even more obsolete and
unsupported than 3.x. This explains my resistance to introduction of another
set of would-be-shortlived-bsd.port.mk-options.

-Maxim