Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2020 08:24:54 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Subject:   Re: 12.1p7 no longer boots after doing zpool upgrade -a

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:12 AM Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org> wrote:

> I did a zpool upgrade -a to enable large_dnode and spacemap_v2.
> After that, I did:
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 2 ada0
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 2 ada1
> and:
> gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot1.efifat -i 1 ada0
> gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot1.efifat -i 1 ada1
>
> Now the system no longer boots from either disk and drops to the efi shell.

This method of updating the ESP is no longer recommended for new 12.x
installations -- we now more carefully construct the ESP with an
/EFI/FreeBSD/loader.efi where loader.efi is /boot/loader.efi. You will
want to rebuild this as such, and that may fix part of your problem.

> From memory, the partitions on ada0 and ada1 are as folows:
>
> 1 efi
> 2 freebsd-boot
> 3 freebsd-swap
> 4 freebsd
> p4 is a geli partition with zfs in it.
> ada0p4.eli and ada1p4.eli form a mirrored zpool (called zroot)..
>
> The boot process no longer asks for a GELi password. It just isues
> a no zfs pools found.
>
> When I boot from a stick, it does ask for the GELi password. When
> I set currdev correctly in the loader, I am able to load the kernel,
> opensolaris.ko and zfs.ko. However booting failed because I get an
> Error: Solaris: NOTICE: Cannot find the pool label for 'zroot'

Was vfs.root.mountfrom set correctly? My completely uneducated guess
is that it likely wasn't and we couldn't locate the zpool.cache -- the
value of vfs.root.mountfrom should basically match the currdev format
here, except without a trailing colon.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans