Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2013 02:03:34 +0700
From:      Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rubygem-nokogiri error: "\xE2" from ASCII-8BIT to UTF-8

On 6/14/2013 1:10, Steve Wills wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just attempted to upgrade Ruby & Redmine and one of the gems,
>> nokogiri, (and a few others) die with the same "ASCII-8BIT to UTF-8"
>> error durring the doc install phase which prevents the port from
>> completing the install.
>>
>> I've searched and search and cannot find anything that relates to this
>> specifically, anyone have any ideas?
>>

> I've seen errors like this, although not with this specific port. I
> haven't come up with a good solution yet, but often setting LC_LANG or
> LANG or LC_ALL to en_us.utf-8 (or whatever is appropriate for you) helps.
> FWIW, bsd.ruby.mk sets LC_CTYPE=UTF-8, but maybe it needs to set more. The
> problem is it's generating docs and needs this, but we don't set a LANG by
> default.

BINGO.  Thank you both Michael Gmelin (who replied privately) and Steve.

My defaults were C or blank when I ran "locale", and per both of your
suggestions setting this let nokogiri build:

export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"; export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8";

Awesomeness:

Successfully installed nokogiri-1.5.0
1 gem installed
Installing RDoc documentation for nokogiri-1.5.0...
===>   Registering installation for rubygem-nokogiri-1.5.0

I also want to note (in case anyone else searches for this) that
rubygem-net-ldap port also had the same issue for me and this fixed that
port as well.

Thanks again!

--
Adam Strohl