Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:43:28 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdb sucks - and I need to get around it.  help?

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 05:03:10PM +0100, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> Anybody know of any way of getting gdb to step from the start of the
> program?
>
> I have an executable with absolutely no symbol data (symbol data is
> absolutely non-available) which I *have* to get to step through, if
> necessary by re-implementing gdb.

Well, turns out that the behaviour / bug in question was triggered by
more of gdb's weird behaviour.  What was happening (which put me in
the '*have* to' mode) was that top was getting segment violations due
to being out of sync with the kernel, and I though that was a bad
thing and should be fixed and su'ed and ran gdb on top - and got a #
prompt.  I have several 'role' PGP keys on this box, and a compromise
would have been pretty icky.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm sure I'll get to use them another
day, as I've found this behaviour to be at least somewhat in my way
time and time again.

Eivind.