Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:38:04 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Martin Dvorak" <mdvorak@ninell.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP poor?

>nothing... While o n RedHat I was copying large files in speed around
>20MB/sec, now I am glad if I get to 5MB/sec. Also, untarring 1.5 MB
>file takes about 40sec which is not wha t anyone could expect
>mentioned hardware.

You need to give more details on how you're measuring performance and
what operations you're actually measuring.  I see someone has already
jumped up and suggested that this is a sync vs async thing, but that's
kind of a silly suggestion since it would only affect you if you were
creating or deleting many many files, it has no effect on the raw I/O
performance to a single file.  However, I can't give you any non-silly
suggestions since you haven't given me any hard data to speak of. :-)

- Jordan