Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:57:39 +0100
From:      Kai Gallasch <k@free.de>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg snapshot and pkg rollback functionality

--Apple-Mail-20-201515482

Am 20.02.2014 um 21:24 schrieb Matthew Seaman:
> On 20/02/2014 11:19, kaltheat wrote:
>>=20
>> ---- On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:52:41 +0100 Kai Gallasch<k@free.de> wrote =
----=20
>>=20
>>> I think such a snapshot/rollback option for pkg would be very =
beneficial, because it would give you the option to "roll back" your pkg =
to every former frozen state in an orderly manner. Even after you find =
out a week later that doing an upgrade was not such a splendig idea.=20
>>>=20
>>> What do you think?=20
>>>=20
>>> K.=20
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I think this is a good idea making life of administrators much =
easier.
>> I think it would be best if you create a "feature request" on =
github[1] to avoid
>> that this idea will pass out of mind.
>>=20
>> Regards,
>> kaltheat
>>=20
>> [1] https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/
>=20
> This one already exists and has been in our issues list for quite some
> time...
>=20
> 	Cheers,
>=20
> 	Matthew

Matthew, so you are referring to =
https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/issues/311 ?
It's the only open feature request I found, that comes close to what I =
am proposing.

BTW:
I wonder why development of a FreeBSD core element like pkg takes place =
outside the FreeBSD repo environment, where a possible committer must =
sign up for some account.. Shouldn't the FreeBSD development be self =
contained on its own infrastructure? I know github is very convenient =
and easy on the eyes - I see that and no offense intended here for =
choosing github or prefering a modern SCM tool like mercurial, git or =
whatever over svn. Maybe it's not really a problem for the majority and =
I - as a fossil - suffer from oldthink. Just some metathoughts.

Cheers!
K.

--
GPG-Key: A593 E38B E968 4DBE 14D6  2115 7065 4D7C 4FB1 F588
Key available from hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net

--Apple-Mail-20-201515482
	name=PGP.sig
content-description: Signierter Teil der Nachricht
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-20-201515482--