Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:27:42 +0200
From:      Christian Perrier <perrier@onera.fr>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Christian Perrier <perrier@onera.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc5des software crash under 2.2.7-RELEASE

David Kelly disait :

> You probably have a bad (or wrong) copy of the rc5des code. I haven't
> tried to run the FreeBSD 3.0 version, nor a Linux version of rc5des.

Well, again, as I told to all people who mad eme this answer privately, I
_really_ run the proper version of rc5des (the one for FreeBSD 2.x, NOT the
one for 3.x). I grabbed the software _twice_ from the links at
www.distributed.net

> And there is absolutely no reason to run it as root, and every reason
> not to. Put it in your home directory. Or create a special account for

Certainly. This is exactly what I do on the several other machines where I
run rc5des (mainly Linux machines). The software runs as nobody with only
nobody-owned files.

I mentioned in my report that I ran it as root. This is just because I
didn't make the needed work for having it ran as another UID. I just wanted
to quicly launch the software and see it work...or not.