Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:03:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        spaz@u.washington.edu (John Utz)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: networking: ed0 timeout

John Utz stands accused of saying:

> 	So ed0 returns the address now and all that happy stuff. I do,
> however, keep getting timeout messages when i boot the machine, and when i
> shut down, I assume they are getting issued all the time, but that they
> are just masked out from the console, since i dont login as root.
>
> 	Why is this happening? how can i fix this?

Either 1) you're not talking to the wire (bad cabling, wrong media type
selected), or 2) you have the interrupt values wrong.

> 	Ultimately, i would like to be able to visit the /dos partition of
> this machine from my win31 machine . What do folks use for this? can u run
> the windows apps found on that disk on the second machine?

Use 'samba' out of the ports collection.  Running windows applications that
haven't been explicitly installed on a system is a totally pot-luck
thing - some will work, some won't, and some will "sort of" work.

> when i boot. I understand that samba is not suitable for this, since i
> have neither lanman or wfw or w95.

The lanman client is freely available from ftp.microsoft.com, and you're
only fooling yourself if you think you can network safely with win31.