Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 20:44:38 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone have any MPEG encoders available?

> > Found it, thanks!  Running it now..
> >
> > Hmmmm.  I sense a new benchmark coming out of this:  the ENCODESTONE. :-)
>
> :)  I should note that on a reasonably fast SGI (mpegaudio is very floating
> point intensive) encoding takes about 3 times the length of the encoded file.
>
> You should encode at 128bits/sec for any reasonable compression.  This also
> produces very high quality sound files.

Yes, indeed!  Just to give some results:

jkh@time-> ls -l wrong.wav
-rwxrwxr-x  1 root  wheel  42705308 Feb 15 00:00 wrong.wav

[A CD tune I recorded as a test]

jkh@time-> ls -l stereo-wrong.mp2
-rw-rw-r--  1 jkh  jkh  3873509 Feb 16 20:16 stereo-wrong.mp2

That's a LOT of compression! ;-)

I've spent a lot of time listening to both versions now and I swear
I can't tell the difference!

					Jordan