Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2016 07:59:24 +0000
From:      Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Vale port naming

> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:37:48PM +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 11:29:31AM +0000, Matt Churchyard via freebsd-n=
et wrote:
> > > From the little information I can find on the net it seems that valeX=
:Y is the format for a port on a vale switch.
> > > Some examples use vale0:1, others use a letter such as valeA:0. The o=
nly details I can find is a vague reference to a 15/16? character limit,
> >  > although I don't know whether that applies to just the first part of=
 the whole thing.
> >=20
> > Can anyone clarify the valid format for a vale switch/port?
> > Is there any length or character restriction on X & Y?
>=20
> According to the vale.4 manpage:
>=20
>         vale ports are named vale[bdg:][port] where vale is the prefix
>         indicating a VALE switch rather than a standard interface, bdg
>         indicates a specific switch (the colon is a separator), and port
>         indicates a port within the switch.  Bridge and port names are
>         arbitrary strings, the only constraint being that the full name
>         must fit within 16 characters.
>=20
> The manpage is confusing in that the name must be 15 characters plus=20
> the NUL character.  Given the other limits, it looks like bdg can be=20
> up to 8 characters in practice.

>  Having hit send, I've noticed I'm wrong here. :)  In fact, you have 10 c=
haracters to split betwen bdg and port.

> -- Brooks

Ok, so I can assume using port names like "vale9d9af:66aa9" isn't the reaso=
n that my test machine is panicing.
I might give 10.3 a go instead of head and see how I get on with that.

Matt