Date:      Sat, 4 Jun 2016 16:43:13 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: laptop recommendations for radeon driver testing

On 06/04/16 16:29, Matthew Macy wrote:

>   ---- On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 14:12:52 -0700 William A. Mahaffey III <wam@hiwaay.net> wrote ----
>   > On 06/04/16 16:09, Arto Pekkanen wrote:
>   > > I have no laptop recommendations for now (lack of information, need more
>   > > research), but in the mean time I can recommend this mini-ITX motherboard:
>   > > http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITX/
>   > > or
>   > > http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXWiFi/
>   > >
>   > > So if you cannot find a suitable cheap laptop, you could try getting one
>   > > of these Asrock QC-5000 boards.
>   > >
>   > > I have this Asrock QC-5000/ITX (without wifi) on my server. It is the
>   > > best low-wattage NAS board I've ever used. Better than any Atom board
>   > > available, if you compare the wattage/performance ration and
>   > > features/price. It also has all the connectors you will ever need,
>   > > including video connectors.
>   > >
>   > > The brute performance of the integrated AMD A4/Kabini processor is
>   > > pretty mediocre compared to intel i3/i5/i7 and the like, but it is
>   > > enough to drive most common desktop applications. It probably does NOT
>   > > have enough power to render 1080p h264 video without GPU decoding, but
>   > > 720p should work.
>   > >
>   > > According to this wiki article, Kabini should be a GCN 2nd Generation:
>   > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next#GCN_2nd_Generation_.22GCN_1.1.22_.28Sea_Islands.2C_HD_7790_and_Rx_290.2F260_Series.29
>   > >
>   > > Also here it was mentioned that the HD 8330 in Kabini APUs is based on
>   > > the GCN architecture:
>   > > http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8330.92874.0.html
>   > >
>   > > I ordered one from Germany brand new, and it cost me only around 75
>   > > euros (with shipping to Finland) at the time. Because these boards are
>   > > so cheap and awesome, it might be hard to find them sold used.
>   > >
>   > > On 04.06.2016 09:31, Matthew Macy wrote:
>   > >> I have an Ivy Bridge, a Haswell, a Skylake, and a Cherry Trail based system for testing i915 - along with an Arrandale (T410) on the way. I have a Thinkpad e565, a Fury X, and a Fury Nano for testing amdgpu. However,  I have nothing that uses Radeon. After all the time I've put in to Intel (continue to put in :-/) I feel that I would be remiss in simply tossing the code out there and hoping that it works. This all a long winded way of saying please recommend a pre-GCN3 based laptop.
>   > >>
>   > >>
> [...]

[wam@kabini1, ~, 4:29:40pm] 337 % sysctl hw.model
hw.model: AMD Sempron(tm) 3850 APU with Radeon(tm) R3
[wam@kabini1, ~, 4:36:11pm] 338 %

i.e. the CPU, not mbd. On further review, I think I have a close cousin,
not this exact board. Mine is socket AM1 (socket), not FT3 (soldered
onto the mbd). Otherwise very similar feature wise, has been rock solid
for me (along w/ FreeBSD 9.3R :-) ).

A bit more info:

[wam@kabini1, ~, 4:39:14pm] 340 % sysctl -A | grep -A8 -B2 APU
debug.maestro.powerstate_active: 1
hw.machine: amd64
hw.model: AMD Sempron(tm) 3850 APU with Radeon(tm) R3
hw.ncpu: 4
hw.byteorder: 1234
hw.physmem: 16549806080
hw.usermem: 15083147264
hw.pagesize: 4096
hw.floatingpoint: 1
hw.machine_arch: amd64
hw.realmem: 18236833792
[wam@kabini1, ~, 4:39:26pm] 341 %

FWIW, I will be happy to help w/ testing any new gfx capabilities,
although this is my daily driver & *only* internet access :-/.

[wam@kabini1, ~, 4:42:55pm] 343 % grep -i radeon -A2 -B2 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
         Identifier  "Card0"
         Driver      "vesa"
##      Driver      "radeon"
##      Driver      "ati"
         Option      "Log" "Sync"
         Option      "DRI2" "On"
         VendorName  "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]"
         BoardName   "Kabini [Radeon HD 8280 / R3 Series]"
##      BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection
[wam@kabini1, ~, 4:43:14pm] 344 %

--