Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:35:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to force remote reboot of 3.4-Release?

MR> possible to exploit any of the other resource starvation features in
MR> 3.4-Release to force a reboot?  Getting access to the server is a big
MR> pain in the rear, so I'd like to avoid the trip if at all possible.

BSD/OS has a feature called a deadman timer that can be used in such
situations.  If the timer expires, the kernel "panics" and reboots.
For network-critical machines, one would have a remote process that
connects and rests the timer periodically.  If the remote machine
cannot connect, the timer will run out and reboot.

This is one feature I'd like to see merged in from the BSD/OS
kernel... ;-)

Not that it helps your immediate problem, sorry.  But better planning
by having an SSH daemon running so you can connect via that even if
inetd is not responding would be a good idea.