Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 23:09:48 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TIME_WAIT/FIN_WAIT_2...

Hi all.. I have a few questions about large web servers. I've run a
few relatively large web sites on freebsd in the past, but none that
put out more than 300-400,000 objects per day (html+gif..). I've been
looking at a Solaris machine today that's putting out about 2 million
pages a day. The somewhat odd thing is the extraordinary number of
sockets left open in TIME_WAIT and FIN_WAIT_2. I roughly understand
what they mean, but we're talking about 3000 entries here (about 400-500
of which are FIN_WAIT_2, the rest are TIME_WAIT).. So I have ~3000
sockets in TIME_WAIT/FIN and only about 100 ESTABLISHED.

Is this normal?? It doesn't seem like it to me. If not, what would be
causing it, and what should I look at tuning on the Slowaris box??

TIA for any ideas! All I know is that I just don't trust sockets on
Solaris... :-)

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark