Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:54:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Qt vs GTK

On 17-Jul-00 Alexander Langer wrote:
> Thus spake John Baldwin (jhb@FreeBSD.ORG):
>
>> I don't care if we have both Qt and GTK backends (we _can_ have
>> both, btw), but I don't want to do absolute positioning.  The
>
> I've looked at the GTK part today. It's very hard, since GTK is C
> while the objects used within libh want C++ backends.

GTK-- is supposed to be a C++ wrapper for GTK.  Haven't heard many
good things said about it though. :P

>> nicest GUI toolkit I've ever used was the Java AWT and Swing, because
>> Java has these spiffy things called layout managers that allow you
>> to just create a button and throw it in a layout and voila, it all
>> gets sized and positioned for you.  This makes it easy to write,
>> and I'd like the same ability in our Tcl scripts to make it easy to
>> write scripts w/o having to worry about laying widgets out by hand.
>
> Yes, I understand this. However, as I told you on IRC:
> The current way is just too ugly.
> I plan to make this abstraction layer the default, if no absolute
> positions are given, which is WAY nicer.
> Additionally, if you really WANT to specifiy where a widget goes, it's
> just a param more.

You need a unified coordinate system though.  Think about it.  In
X you will use pixels, in TV you will use charcells.  A script should
_not_ have to know which one it is running under and thus have to
tailor its position and size accordingly.  Positioning and sizing need
to be hidden as an abstraction in the UI.