Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 19:39:42 +0000
From:      Richard Yeardley <NOSPAMrichy@hunter13.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port 1243 scans

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:43:48 +1100 (EST), Ian Smith
<smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>The last two days we've had several attempted scans of tcp port 1243
>from two systems in our locality, presumably over our /26 subnet. This
>seems to be their only port of interest; I only noticed it due to their
>having scanned unallocated addresses to which ipfw logs access attempts.
>
>What are they looking for?  Is this one of these Netbus/BO things? We do
>have Windoze boxes on the LAN, as some with local knowledge would know;
>I guess I'll have to bolt down ports that wouldn't worry freebsd boxes.
>
>To save asking more silly questions, is there a list of ports used by
>various nasties somewhere out there (not in /etc/services, obviously).
>
>If it matters, this is a 2.2.6-RELEASE box with known security fixes,
>soon to be upgraded to 3.3, once the airmail arrives.
>
>Cheers, Ian

I had a similar thing the other day - this time from two hosts at
btinternet.com here in the uk.  Perhaps it's a known port on one of
the new chat apps - eg AOL Instant Messager?

Rich.
--=20
=46BSD3.3R : IBM PR233 : 64MB RAM : 4.3GB HD : V90 modem : NE2000 PCI
Apache 1.3.9+PHP 3.12 : named : socks5 v1.0r10 : ipfw : mysql 3.22
fetchmail 5.1.2 : qpopper 2.53 : procmail 3.13.1 : ircd 2.10.1