Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:35:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        ms@probsd.org (Michael Sharp)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd slice - 2 hdd's

> My wife's business wants to have a freebsd server and they gave her a old
> computer to install freebsd on. The machine has 2 small hdd's ( seen as
> ad0 and ad1 ) and I was wondering if anyone sees any problem with putting
> the / , /var, /tmp , and swap slices on ad0 and putting all of the /usr
> slice on ad1 and installing the freebsd boot manager to ad0?

No problem.  It is a good way of doing it.   While you are in sysinstall
(what is running while you are doing the installation) it gives you a list
of drives to work on.

First choose the ad0 drive and tell it to make it one bootable FreeBSD
slice of the whole disk and then partition it for your /, /var, /tmp
and swap as you please.  Tell it the appropriate /, /var, /tmp and
swap mounts.

Then, before leaving the disk setup part of sysinstall, next choose ad1
and make one FreeBSD slice on it, but you don't need to make it bootable.
Partition it with one big partition and tell it to mount that as /usr.
The sysinstall utility will take care of all the rest.

You do not need a boot manager.  You only need the standard boot
block, because you are only using one OS eg FreeBSD.  It just uses
more than one disk.  So, when sysinstall asks for ad0, just choose
standard (no boot manager) boot block.

One difference I might suggest is to actually split your swap
up and put some of it on each disk instead of just the one.
If you do that, you will, of course, make two partitions on the
FreeBSD slice on ad1 - one for the portion of swap and the rest
for /usr.   If you tell sysinstall it is for swap, sysinstall will
take care of making it properly usable.  You don't have to do anything
else to use both swap portions.

Also, make plenty of swap - 2 or 2 1/2 times the physical memory,
even more if the memory is quite small < 64 MB.

Have fun.

////jerry