Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:54:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <s.ohara@elsevier.nl>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent pccard and floppy problem

On 12-Feb-99 Mike Smith wrote:
>>         A recent cvsup (to RELENG_3 about two days ago) has developed the
>> following problems on my laptop:
>>
>>         1: pccard no longer attaches my NE2000 clone card, pccardd properly
>> finds the ed0 driver but doesn't use the port and memory info from the tuple
>> but seems to pick up some quite bogus defaults (port 0x240 mem 0) I haven't
>> figured out where from yet (they are not what the driver is configured to
>> nor
>> are they in any of the tuples).
>
> This is particularly odd, since there's been no change at all in that
> code for quite some time.

        I've been doing some digging into the problem and I've got this far:

        a) There are two config tuples with the same ID in my card the default
(which says 8 bit io with no specified port as well as all the power gubbins)
and the next one in (which specifies port 0x300). I'm fairly sure I used to get
the second but I can't document it so I could be wrong there, for now I've got
pccardd hacked to skip configs with no io (this is probably wrong) what I'm
going to do is back that out and specify another ID in my pccard.conf.

        Question: what should pccardd do with two config tuples with the same
ID.

        b) The driver allocation fails with EINVAL over irq allocation, if I
force (by hacking up allocate_driver) the right irq it all works. I haven't yet
fully understood all the irq masking stuff but I think I'll get to the bottom
of this by tracking the sources of the masks back to their origins.

        I also see no changes in the code I've been looking over for some time
(and I've been tracking stable every few days for some time now). I can only
conclude that something else in my configuration has changed lately without my
noticing.

>>         2: The floppy drive cannot be used once FreeBSD is up and running,
>>         it
>> is recognised at boot time it even can be heard to do a seek to track zero
>> as
>> the driver initialises but attempt to access it from a prompt (dd, mount
>> mdir
>> anything) and the thing doesn't even spin up.
>
> Ack.   Is anyone else seeing this?  Obviously none of the developers
> have hit this, or we'd have heard about it by now.

        Small observation - I only noticed this because I couldn't get online
so I wanted to use the floppy to move some sources from another machine. Weeks
can go by without me using a floppy under normal conditions and I suspect I am
not the only one.

> Do you have an old kernel you can boot?

        Not on the right machine :(, but I now have a hacked one that will let
me get things back in order :).

        I am happier and understand pccard handling much better now - much
happier comes when I fully understand how this went wrong on me.