Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 17:59:33 -0400
From:      "leegold" <leegold@erols.com>
To:        "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ques:  partition, slice, disk label, mounting point

> leegold wrote:
> > I've read tons of stuff on the web. still trying to understand the
basics of
> > the FreeBSD installation. maybe if anyone could explain the following
term,
> > concepts it would make a dent:
> > disk labeling  (vs. slices, partitions, mounting points ).
> > slices, (vs partitions, what's the difference).
> > mounting points.
> > how dirs (eg. \ ) are mounted to the partitions ( or is it slices ),
why,
> > how, when?
>
> The \ concept has to go. It is now the way it was originally
> developed. Microsoft just didn't understand that the / key was easier
> to get to than the \ key was.

scuse me i meant    /    (the root dir) - how embarrassing.

> It will be hard to talk to someone outside of the FreeBSD community
> about FreeBSD terminology.

just elaborating on the generic unix definations for these terms would be
fine
but i got some good info out of you response - thanks!

> There is a lot to learn.

That's one reason why i'm tackling fbsd - that glorious learning curve
+  i want to break my m$ addiction.    thanks again.