Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 2009 02:13:11 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        xorquewasp@googlemail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 VM with OpenGL?

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:59:04PM +0100, xorquewasp@googlemail.com wrote:
> On 2009-06-29 23:34:08, Roland Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:14:17PM +0100, xorquewasp@googlemail.com wro=
te:
> > > Hello.
> > >=20
> > > What's the preferred virtual machine on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE on amd64 =
if
> > > OpenGL support is required?
> >=20
> > Depends on what your definitions of a virtual machine and OpenGl support
> > are. :-)
>=20
> Yeah, probably should have mentioned that!
>=20
> I actually meant the definition you gave: a VM with native OpenGL
> acceleration.
>=20
> I wonder if the virtualbox port to FreeBSD is likely to be able to
> use this at all:
>=20
>   http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl/

The page says it does.

> Virtualbox + VMGL seems the most likely candidate at the moment -

=46rom the abovementioned page: "VMGL is available for X11-based guest OS's=
".

> I'm just not sure if it's currently stable at all.

At version 0.1.1, I wouldn't expect too much.

OpenGL is just a display mechanism. If the calculations feeding the
display have to be run in an emulator, this will slow your program down
considerably.=20

If your program on the guest OS is already written for X11, can't you
port it to FreeBSD?  Or run it natively and transport the output to your
FreeBSD box via X11?

Roland
--=20

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9