Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:40:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        marcel@cup.hp.com
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, mbendiks@eunet.no
Subject:   Re: panic running linux binaries from ext2fs

> > This means that you can't load/run *any* binaries from an ext2 fs and
> > not just Linux binaries, right?
>
> If the above is indeed the problem, then, yes. This would mean that you
> could not run anything off an ext2 fs. If so, then your solution should
> be rather simple: add demand paging to ext2 fs.

I don't normally have any Freebsd binaries on my Linux partitions.
But as a test, I copied a few and ran them.  It wasn't a real stress
test, but ls, emacs, xv and xsnow all seemed to run ok on ext2fs.
So, I guess that's not the problem.

It seems to require the combination of a Linux binary and ext2fs.
And it's not a complicated Linux binary.  I can produce the panic
with Linux's ls.  On the other hand, I have successfully run the
Linux versions of emacs and netscape, as long as all the files are
on ufs.

I know this works for other people, and that's what's so baffling.
The symptoms point to me misconfiguring something.  But I install
linux_base-6.1 and load the module (with the linux script), and it's
ready to go.  There aren't any rc or sysctl variables for me to screw
up.

Are there any configuration options for the Linuxulator that I might
have set wrong?  I blew away /compat/linux and reinstalled linux_base,
just to make sure it wasn't any additional libs that were the problem.

Is Linux emulation or ext2fs sensitive to any kernel options (other
than EXT2FS)?  I'm not using soft updates, if that matters.

And to make sure it wasn't bad sectors on the disk, I tried the ext2fs
slice on two disks.  And it panics on both.

--Mark