Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:48:58 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64 bit counters again

Thomas Hurst wrote:
> How about keeping them at 32 bit and also counting the number of times
> they've overflowed?  User level stuff can then do potentially slow 64
> bit ops if needed.

And make it adjacent anyway?  Maybe using a union to avoid
byte/word order issues?

This is much less expensive, I think, since the math doesn't
go 64 bit, though it does cost another compare, per over just
doing 32 bits.

My personal opinion is that the utility of the counters is
mostly in the examination of small deltas, or delta measurement
over intervals (c.v. the recent "sar" discussion); is there a
particular reason that making them more expensive to get 64
bits of accuracy is needed to fulfill?

-- Terry