Date:      08 Oct 1997 20:32:28 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wheres all my memory going?

David Greenman <dg@root.com> writes:
> memory as well. "top" is a poor utility for looking at this sort of thing
> since this shows top CPU consumers, not top memory consumers. You really
> should be using 'ps -alx' to look at this stuff.

Speaking of top, can somebody explain to me why, according to top,
some processes have a larger "RES" entry "SIZE" entry? Doesn't "RES"
represent just a part of "SIZE"? I've only ever seen this on FreeBSD;
on all other Unices I use (Solaris, IRIX, SunOS), "SIZE" is always
larger than "RES".

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"