Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:11:24 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        gavinb@supranet.net (Benjamin Gavin)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just installed 3.1R

>   I just got finished installing 3.1R on my machine.  However, when I
> rebooted, the system did not come back up as it should have.  After much
> messing around, and after numerous tries with the fixit floppy, I finally
> found the Label editor and wrote the parition table on my drive.  The
> symptoms of my problem were/are:
>
> 1)  On boot, I select FreeBSD (F2)
> 2)  It won't boot automagically
> 3)  I have to put 0:wd(2,e)/kernel in every time
>
>   I didn't realize this little mixup until after I rebooted.  IT seems that
> during the system installation, the foot partition got put on /dev/wd0s2e??
>  Isn't this normally the /var partition?  Anyway, I can now boot the system
> (although it rebooted on me the first time booting after building a custom
> kernel.).  However, having to be there sitting in front of the machine all
> the time is unacceptable.  Is their a way to change the Boot Loader to load
> the correct kernel, or to at least look on the correct partition?

The problem is the boot blocks, which need to find /boot/loader.
You will need either a boot.config file containing "0:wd(2,e)", or
a populated /boot directory, on the 'a' partition of the slice.
Unless you want to patch the code and create customized boot blocks.

I'd suggest, though, that you rather do what it takes to get your
root filesystem onto the 'a' partition.

--
Robert Nordier