Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 00:04:20 +0100
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.nl>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        John Telford <j.telford@sympatico.ca>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewalling a PPPoE, any easy workaround to MTU on lan stations ?

--=====================_162724927==_.ALT

At 22:50 4-2-01 +0000, Brian Somers wrote:
> > John Telford wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm putting  a 4.2 R firewall in for a ppoe connection. (sympatico)
> > > Is there any workaround I can use so I don't have to reduce the MTU
> on all
> > > the internal stations ?
> > > It's a mix of Windows 9x and Macs. And I've found only one utility
> capable
> > > of adjusting MTU on Macs.
> > > Can anything be done on the freebsd box as the traffic goes through it ?
> > > Thanks in advance, John.
> > > P.S. the pppoe setup went fine thanks to a page at www.sympaticousers.org
> > > and some further notes at www.freebsddiary.org
> >

> > ppp now has an option where it will force the negotiated packet size
> > of new tcp sessions going through it down. (i.e it fiddles with the
> packets)
> > check the man page.. I THINK it may be in 4.2, if not it's in -Stable
>
>It didn't make 4.2 - it was MFC'd on December 18 :-(

Brian, may I quote you from a different thread? =)

"I think I've figured out the problem though... can you try the latest
version of ppp - should be available via
http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html RSN (the 010204 archive) if you
don't get -current. "

John might not need that version, but shouldn't he be able to run a newer
ppp on his 4.2-R without hitches?

         DocWilco
--=====================_162724927==_.ALT

At 22:50 4-2-01 +0000, Brian Somers wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; I'm putting&nbsp; a 4.2 R firewall in for a ppoe connection.
(sympatico)<br>
&gt; &gt; Is there any workaround I can use so I don't have to reduce the
MTU on all<br>
&gt; &gt; the internal stations ?<br>
&gt; &gt; It's a mix of Windows 9x and Macs. And I've found only one
utility capable<br>
&gt; &gt; of adjusting MTU on Macs.<br>
&gt; &gt; Can anything be done on the freebsd box as the traffic goes
through it ?<br>
&gt; &gt; Thanks in advance, John.<br>
&gt; &gt; P.S. the pppoe setup went fine thanks to a page at
&gt; &gt; and some further notes at
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; ppp now has an option where it will force the negotiated packet size
&gt; of new tcp sessions going through it down. (i.e it fiddles with the
packets)<br>
&gt; check the man page.. I THINK it may be in 4.2, if not it's in
-Stable<br>
It didn't make 4.2 - it was MFC'd on December 18 :-(</blockquote><br>
Brian, may I quote you from a different thread? =)<br>
&quot;I think I've figured out the problem though... can you try the
latest <br>
version of ppp - should be available via <br>
(the 010204 archive) if you <br>
don't get -current. &quot;<br>
John might not need that version, but shouldn't he be able to run a newer
ppp on his 4.2-R without hitches? <br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>DocWilco</html>