Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:41:13 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with bsd.gnome.mk [patch]

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> > I'm not entirely sure that preventing this behaviour is a good thing.
> > It leads to Gnome apps being ported in two possible ways:  Patching to
> > remove /gnome from after datadir and helpdir, and patching to add /gnome
> > after pixmapdir.  Solving the problem from a port's perspective is also
> > fairly simple.  You define WANT_GNOME, and then test HAVE_GNOME and
> > define USE_GNOME.  You can then use %%DATADIR%% to get the correct PLIST
> > entries.

I do not see any benefits of this setup for ports with only optional GNOME support. In
additional to my previous example with sawfish themes, for example xmms - it's in GNOME
case only installs small applet, and IMHO it's not necessary to move the whole
share/xmms into share/gnome. It's definitely not worth in this case to pollute
pkg-plist  with %%DATADIR%%, which creates additional headache in the case when you have
to upgrade the port.

Please make GNOME's CONFIGURE_ARGS optional!

-Maxim