Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:55:34 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

Vincent Poy wrote:

>         Heh, must be one of those $4000 Fluke testers or something.  I
> mean cables should be tested prior to installing but you don't actually
> know the characteristics while the cable is in real use is what I'm
> saying. :-)

It is - with it's remote end as well... Extreemly expensive, but very
'cool'... And very precise :)

You can't easily test the cable prior to installing - it normally comes in
300ft boxes! - But you can (and should) test it after it's been installed, and
after you've followed the CAT-5 guidelines re. corners, luminaire avoidance
etc :)

> > >         Hmmm, how large of a file do you have to transfer to see the max
> > > speed?
> >
> > Typically around 2Gb's... I do a lot of DVR work, so I always have large files
> > kicking around :-)
>
>         I could use one of those... =)

A 2gb file? - You could always FTP it from here? <g>

>         Heh.  Wouldn't it be nice if Delphi was available for FreeBSD or
> binary compable with something FreeBSD emulates? :-)

Yes, it would!... We (as in Unix) have the free Pascal compiler, which
supports most (if not all) of the Sysutils unit, but it's a long way from
being able to run on the bosses Windows desktop :-)

Not that the boss is best friends with Windows at the moment (it crashes his
machine about twice a day, and that's even under NT :-)

>> This is getting off-topic for -hackers - if you want to chat we should either
>> move it somewhere more appropriate - or personal replies only :-)
>         That's a good idea... That's why it's been moved to -chat in this
> reply =)

So I noticed... :-) Chat doesn't get used very often (not often enough some
might say from some of the threads in -hackers/-current recently...) I often
forget I'm subscribed at all :)

-Kp