Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:54:30 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASCII Diagram Replacements

At 11:29 2001-07-12 +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
>I'm trying to avoid mandating any particular image editor if at all possible.

Good! I have just spent 24 hours (except about 4 hours of sleep)
trying to install dia. It has way too many dependencies. I finally
came to a point where the make kept crashing at the same place, and
I was forced to give up.

I am currently downloading Lee's tgz files and will see if that
helps.

>I think it is worth trying to mandate a house style though.
>
>For example, take a look at
>
>    http://ora-design.ora.com/illus_dept/!active.html
>
>and the various graphics there (for example, under "Server Load
>Balancing").  It's clear they're all from the same source -- the
>commonality of the icons, the width of lines, the size of arrowheads, the
>fact that lines are shown with rounded corners instead of right angles,
>the font used for text in the image, the dashed lines to show different
>domains,

It would be nice if, when you click on any of the "eps" links,
you got the eps files. But they only give you a gif image. In
other words, if you want to emulate them, someone will have to
draw the icons first.

>Dia, Kivio, xfig, Sketch, or some other tool.  Perhaps we could even
>have our own library of icons that can be used ("router", "host",
>"network cloud", "printer", ...) that can be used when putting together
>illustrations?

As long as someone is willing to create it. :)

Cheers,
Adam

---
http://phonecowboy.com/registrar/twist/ finds a good domain for you