Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:24:25 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Commissionnaires <comish@weyerhaeuser.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Learning

Commissionnaires wrote:

> I am interested in learning about the freebsd operating system, I dont have
> very much exerience yet but I am motivated to learn. I have poked around
> other OS but have found them unappealing to my interest, I like the concept
> of free source systems like linux and have played with SUSE a little but
> found the limited availability of learning materials in english a
> hinderance. I have downloaded and printed the manual as of page 34 where I
> came upon your invitation I decided to reach out and touch someone. I woud
> like some quick advice as to what version I should install via ftp to begin
> my learning, and what would be the best path to follow. I am particularily
> interested in learning to program in an acceptable language and want to
> concentrate on network protocols and reliable secure communications, as well
> as network security and firewalls.
>
> Thank you for any advice that you can offer.

My best advice for a complete novice would be to buy the book "The Complete
FreeBSD", by Greg Lehey, install the version of FreeBSD on the CD-ROM found
inside the book, and use the book as a guide to configuring FreeBSD for
whatever you need.  Once you've gotten that far, then come back and ask
questions in the freebsd-hackers mailing list, you'll be ready for us by
then.

In the meantime, direct questions about how to configure various parts of
FreeBSD to the freebsd-questions mailing list, you're much more likely to
find willing helpful people there.  It's our "support line."

Best of luck, and let us know how you do.  Better yet, once you've got
FreeBSD running to your satisfaction, write an article about it for a
magazine, a web site, or your local newspaper and tell us about it.  ;^)