Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:16:26 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tools for checking disk load?

Ok, I thought I had sent this question before, but I don't think I ever saw
it go through, so I figure it disappeared into the ether somewhere, so I'll
give it another shot (been a week or two since I first sent it, I'm not
getting impatient at normal propagation times).

Are there any usefull tools floating around that would help determine
whether a disk is being overloaded?  I've got some suspicions that one of
the disks is running into periods of load causing problems for hte rest of
the system, but I'd like to get some hard numbers before we start
considering some upgrades.  I know when I read the archives I saw some
discussion about expanding iostat to give more statistics that would be
useful for this (since msps seems to be useless), but this was all in 1995,
and nothing seems to have come of it.

The system is currently running 2.2-stable (we're planning on upgrading,
but it's not in a convenient location to have someone there to do the
upgrade and since it's been working fine we've been putting it off).

Thanks,
Gary Schrock