Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:53:53 +0200
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Christian Kratzer <ck@cksoft.de>
Subject:   versioned ports naming convention

Hi all,

just a quick question:

When there are multiple versioned ports (like www/apache13
and www/apache2) PORTNAME shouldn't be versioned (i.e. apache),
that's how I understand the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook,
4.2.4 Package Naming Conventions:
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html#PORTING-PKGNAME>;

Examples are:
mail/cyrus-imapd, mail/cyrus-imapd2 and mail/cyrus-imapd22
security/cyrus-sasl and security/cyrus-sasl2
mail/exim-old, mail/exim
devel/autoconf, devel/autoconf213, devel/autoconf253, devel/autoconf257
devel/automake, devel/automake14, devel/automake15, devel/automake17

Now Christian Kratzer told me that this policy is about to change:
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2003-July/002646.html>;

Did I misinterpret the porter's handbook or do I overlook the advantages
of having versioned PORTNAMEs?

Thanks for your insight
    Oliver