Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:23:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh strangeness in -current...

Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org> wrote in list.freebsd-current:
 > Without still having seen the error message you were confused by, I can't
 > do much else to help. I can't think of a better way to explain how to fix
 > the problem than what's currently there.

As I said in my first message, it complained about a missing
RSA library.  (To reproduce the actual error message word by
word, I'd have to install the whole stuff again.)

 > > I can't cvsup on that -current box, it's too small for a
 > > "make world" (and probably too slow, too).  I just downloaded
 > > the 20000228-current snapshot and installed it.
 >
 > Well, the question then becomes: did you download the snapshot (including
 > the crypto (formerly called 'DES') collection) from a US server, or non-US
 > server? International people should be using the crypto collection from an
 > internationally-produced snapshot for maximum openssl performance.

From ftp7.de.freebsd.org which mirrors from current.freebsd.org.
I always use those snapshots, for many years now, and it worked
fine so far (even though I never had an RSA library).

What about the Release?  Will 4.0-R be offered in two variants,
one for the US and one for all others, so they get a working
ssh?  As far as I know, releases were the same for everyone,
so far.

 > >  > Enough people wanted it in the base system
 > >
 > > For what reason?  I'm sorry, I can't find anything in the
 > > archives which is answering my question.
 >
 > It is (very) useful to have out of the box,

That applies to a real lot of software which is now in the
ports.  For example, lsof would be very useful to have out
of the box.  And netcat.  And sudo.  And pgp.  And a few
hundreds of others.

One of the first things I always did after a fresh install
was cd /usr/ports/security/ssh; make install && make clean,
just like I did with a bunch of other optional ports which
are not there "out of the box" (and shouldn't).

Well, sorry for my grumbling, I'll just keep removing the
non-functional /usr/bin/ssh from now on.  :-)

Regards,
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)