Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:41:27 -0800
From:      Mike Thompson <miket@dnai.com>
To:        "John H. Baldwin" <jobaldwi@cslab.vt.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internal PnP Modem and IRQ not in map...

At 10:19 PM 12/28/98 -0500, John H. Baldwin wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm having some problems getting an internal PnP modem to work with
>2.2.8-Stable.   The modem is a HSP K56Flex modem.  I figured out its
>vendor ID from pnpinfo(8) and added it to /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sio.c so
>that it recognized the modem and attached it to a sio device.

John,

I hate to tell you this, but using the HSP K56Flex modem with FreeBSD
is a hopeless cause -- I spent an entire day last week tweaking with
one only to discover that HSP stands for "Host Signal Processing".
This means that the modem requires software running on the host
Pentium processor to process the incoming analog modem signal --
real modems have an on-board Digital Signal Processor, ROM and RAM
to handle this completely internal to the modem itself.  HSP modems
are literally just a minimal number of I/O components to connect the
phone line to the computer.  This is why they are significantly cheaper
than a more traditional internal modem for the PC.  They can also
significantly degrade the performance of a low-end Pentium system
too.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the manufactures of these modems
only make drivers for Windows 95/98 and Windows NT 4.0 and show
no intentions of supporting any other OS's including FreeBSD or
Linux.

An inexpensive internal PnP 56K modem that does work OK with
FreeBSD is a Best Data 56K Data Fax (Model #56SPS) modem --
roughly $60.  In general you want to look for internal PC
modems that claim to work with DOS, Windows 3.1 or a '486
processor.  Be skeptical of any modem that claims to require
Windows 95/98/NT and/or a 100/133 MHz Pentium processor.

I hope this information helps.

Mike Thompson