Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 07:39:16 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, rwatson@sidwell.edu
Subject:   Re: SMC Ethernet card (EzEther) in PnP Pentium

>   The EtherEZ is known working with FreeBSD. The problem you've described
>sounds very much like either the irq isn't configured correctly in the kernel,
>or the media type isn't selcted properly (isn't there a soft config program
>that came with the card to set this??). You might try setting the irq to -1
>in 'userconfig' (-c at boot). This will tell the driver to attempt to use the
>irq setting it discovers from the card. Sorry I can't be more help at the
>moment; I hope these clues are useful.

I would also suggest using the DOS/Windows configuration routine that came with
the card to set the IRQ, port address, and IO memory address to values known
not to conflict with any of your other installed devices.  I had to do this
on an EtherEZ in a FreeBSD box at work.  I also had to use the Dos configuration
utility twice to get the settings I wanted.  I don't know why they didn't take
first time - probably operator error, but it wasn't evident what I did wrong.
If you get any conflicts detected while using the DOS setup utility, then I
don't think the settings take either - plus you've probably got a conflict
with another device.  Don't forget to boot with the -c option as David suggests
and set your IRQ, IOMEM, and PORT appropriately.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org