Date:      Tue, 01 Apr 1997 16:42:32 -0500
From:      Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crashes with 6x86L-P200+

Doug Russell wrote:

> I was wondering about that...  I haven't been able to get my hands on an L
> part to play with yet, but I noticed that the last couple revisions of the
> motherboard we use (Gigabyte 586VX) have a setting for the 2.8 volt
> CPUs....  I wanted to try one and see how much cooler they ran.
>
> Later......                                             <Doug>

Actually, aren't the 6x86L's and Intel MMX Pentium's dual voltage
chips?  My understanding was that they used 2.8v for core logic and 3.3
for interface
logic.  That way, you get the power/heat advantages of a lower voltage
part without having to redesign the interface chips to handle the lower
voltage.
You'll notice on "MMX ready" motherboards that there is always at least
two regulators.  Maybe this is clearly understood by everyone but no one
actually said it...

--
David W. Alderman	dave@persprog.com