Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:05:44 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Igor Vinokurov <igor@ibank.ru>
To:        dubois@primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: compile sendmail from /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail

Quoting Paul DuBois:
> Igor Vinokurov writes:
> > Anybody can explain me why sendmail does not compile from source
> > distribution (/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail) properly?
> >
> > I run make in this directory and have got some fatal errors then... :(
>
> Errors such as?

Ok, look there, please:

===> mailstats
"Makefile", line 7: Could not find ../../Makefile.inc
Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Stop.

And so on.

Yes, I know how to fix it, but its /usr/src/ stuff in not ready to
compile?

> > P.S: In other words, I would like to upgrade sendmail at my 2.1.5R box.
> >      I was compiling sendmail myself before this day, but now I would like
> >      try to do it in the standard way. How did you compile sendmail to
> >      prepare release version?
>
> You might try getting the current version (8.8.2) from ftp.sendmail.org.
> I've had no trouble with that on a 2.1.5 box.

I've too. But this behaviour (does not compile properly) strange to me.
BTW, /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail not strong equal sendmail original dist.
As example, some pathnames in manuals has changed, sendmail from 2.1.5R
patched a bit for more support FreeBSD, etc, etc... If interested, see
`diff -ru sendmail sendmail.dist` for more details.

--
Igor Vinokurov, JSB "Inkombank"