Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 09:39:29 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net (Jacob M. Parnas)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sun refugee (BSD-bigot) seeks OS for Pentium Pro system....

Jacob M. Parnas stands accused of saying:
> the time that the P7 switches, the P6's should be much faster.  I'm planning on
> getting the ASUS P/E-EP6P7D, probably from netexpress

Just in case the people who have already bought these boards don't catch you
in time, DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE BOARDS.  Unless I am muchly mistaken they
use the Intel Orion chipset, which is badly broken (~4M bus bandwidth).
Wcarchive is currently running on an unreleased Intel server board which
doesn't have this problem, but I remember following their experiences with
the ASUS board ending in its ultimate return.

> 1.  Will a MP system work with freebsd with one processor OK, and
>     multiprocessors?  Is the MP support planned in the future (or currently
>     supported) and what type (spreading out the processes or, having a multi-
>     threading compiler and kernel)

Yes, FreeBSD runs happily on one processor in an MP system.  MP support
exists in some shape, and its direction is largely dependant on having
someone take control of the project and drive it forwards.

> 3.  How happy are you with your choice?  What are the pros+cons both up front
>     (such as ports) and undeterminable such as support?

Having the source and a pile of developers close to hand is invaluable.  The
ports collection makes setting up a new system a trivial exercise.

> 4.  How do you see the future?  Do you think BSDI will do a lot more ports
>     and add new features?

Ports in which sense? 3rd-party applications or platforms?  I think BSDI
are concentrating hard on the internet POP market, possibly to the
detriment of their system asa general-purpose Unix.

> 5.  Am I correct that Linux is really System V and some BSD stuff is missing?

No.  Linux is a completely new design by Linus.  Its internals owe more to
pinball machine code than SysV.  Much, but not all, of the BSD stuff is
there.  If you plan on doing any sort of development (either user-space or
kernel-space)  FreeBSD is my recommendation.

> Thanks, Jacob

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[