Date:      Fri,  6 Dec 2002 10:09:01 -0800
From:      Octavian Hornoiu <octavian@hacknslash.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: nsswitch functionality

Quoting Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>:

> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 09:31:00AM -0800, Octavian Hornoiu wrote:
> > Winbind requires nsswitch to work properly and I know that FreeBSD
> > does not support it currently but why is this not a top priority at
> > the moment?  I would much rather have nsswitch working than some of
> > the minor features introduced in 5.0.  At least, this is my humble
> > opinion and I might be asking too much.  Is there a dedicated resource
> > working on nsswitch at the current moment or is the project dead?
>
> This is a volunteer project so people work on what they feel like.  At
> this moment, I don't think anyone is working on nsswitch.  Apparently,
> the set people who think this is a top priority, and the set of people
> willing and able (both in skill and time) to actually do the work don't
> currently intersect.
>
> You've basicly got two options.  1) Since you're in the first set, you
> could do what it takes to join the second set and do the work.  2)
> convince someone in the second set the join the first set.  I'm sure
> there are plenty of people who would be happy to do the work under
> contract if you were willing to pay for it.  You're current approach of
> telling everyone that they have screwed up priorities and should do what
> you want is not likely to be a successful approach.
>
> -- Brooks
>
> --
> Any statement of the form "X is the one, true Y" is FALSE.
> PGP fingerprint 655D 519C 26A7 82E7 2529  9BF0 5D8E 8BE9 F238 1AD4

I did not mean any offense to the FreeBSD project or developers.  I know that
the project is based on volunteers and I am not demanding anything, this is why
I wrote that it is "my humble opinion" and not my "demand" that nsswitch get
worked on.  I was just hoping to get my question answered and perhaps raise
awareness so that an interested developer might tackle this project.

I appreciate the great work that all FreeBSD developers put into the project
since I use FreeBSD on all the servers that I can install it on.  Keep up the
good work.  :-)

Thanks for your input,

Octavian