Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 02:24:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
To:        jens-ulrik.petersen@nokia.com (Jens-Ulrik Petersen)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, users@ipv6.org
Subject:   Re: dns lookup with IPv6 transport?

%
% We have just connected a small network to the 6bone.  However
% currently we have a pure ipv6 connection (ie no ipv4 address
% allocation!).
%
% We want to do dnslookup using IPv6 transport from a FreeBSD-4.1R box.
% Simple configuration suggests dnslookup over IPv6 is not supported.
% Is it possible to configuration the kernel/libc/system to allow
% dnslookups over IPv6?  Or does it require using bind?  (If bind is
% required, is it bind-9?)
%
% Thanks, Jens
%

Bindv9 is prefered. There is some limited support with bindv8 but it
requires significant patching w/ KAME code.

--
--bill