Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 02:45:32 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE DMA works, I'll be a...

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:40:38 EST, Brian Feldman wrote:

> I say this because I am down to ~2.5MB/s on each hard drive, a MB or
> so decrease; I also seem to be reading (bs=512k) from the CD uncooked
> device at the right speed (~2MB/s), but it takes up 40% of the CPU,
> which seems to be just PIO. Anyone else?

Since I rebuilt world shortly after Matt's VM surgery started, I've also
noticed this -- lower apparent transfer rates from /dev/zero to disk,
higher CPU usage during such transfers.

I'm _not_ saying it's Matt's stuff that's done this, it's just that that
was the stuff I _noticed_ happening in commit mail. I think I saw
something happening to wd.c recently as well, so I _definitely_ am not
going on record as laying blame.

Just some confirmation. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.