Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 18:35:38 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: bind-8 import

Peter Wemm wrote:

> At this stage, I'm planning on doing an import of src/contrib/bind and
> updating all the bmake scaffolding (already done) to build named{-xfer},
> dig, host, nslookup etc.
>
> libc and the include files are 100% entirely seperate.  They are being
> left out for the time being.  I agree completely, updating the resolver to
> use IRS is not something to be rushed into.  I'm not sure I even want to
> at all, but there's bound to be lots more said on the subject.  (In
> particular, I want something that's extensible, so it should be possible
> to support different resolvers beyond the base 3 (4? - hesiod) types that
> are built into the library.

	Thank you for addressing my concerns. It certainly sounds like you've
laid out a carefully considered plan. My initial reaction was due to
your mentioning the conf file problem as the only significant element of
the change. :)  A fairly significant part of what I do is DNS on FreeBSD
(and other platforms) so this is an issue near and dear to my heart.

	Regarding your proposed solution for the conf file, I would be
vehemently opposed to moving the named binary out of /usr/sbin. I would
much prefer something in /etc/rc.network that tests for the existence of
a named.conf file and syslog's something if it doesn't find one. Note
that I said syslog, not echo. Someone administering a system remotely
won't see the echo's, so they won't do any good.

	I can think of several more elaborate solutions involving automatically
creating a named.conf file if it doesn't find one, etc. Let me know if
you're interested in that. While on one hand people running -current
should be responsible for keeping track of the mailing lists, I imagine
that we will want a solution in place for 3.0-Release, so it would be
good to carve something out now while we can safely test the transition
mechanism.

	I run -Stable personally for all of my stuff, however one of my boxes
has -Stable + BIND 8, and I can set up BIND 8 on my machine at home if
you'd like help testing/developing transition ideas.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet