Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:36:07 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: recommendation(s) for new computer

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:42:23 -0500
Mark Felder articulated:

>On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:34:11 -0500, Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca>
>wrote:
>
>> As do Intel (video) drivers....
>
>Not if they require GEM/KMS like all the modern variants do; they're
>not supported in FreeBSD yet. I have a laptop (Google CR48) that's
>running the very experimental GEM/KMS code because otherwise it's
>stuck with a horrible resolution. Even with a custom kernel and custom
>ports/X11 patches it still has quirks like not being able to get your
>vty back after you start X.

This is one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenarios.
If you have confidence in FreeBSD being able to supply fully compatible
drivers for the Intel cards, then I would consider them. However,
considering the speed with which FreeBSD creates drivers for hardware
(see wireless N cards for starters) I would probably choose the nVidia
cards. They works well and nVidia supplies the drivers so you know that
they are going to work.

As a side bar, be careful what NIC card you get. FreeBSD still does not
support many "wireless N" cards if you plan on going that route.

--=20
Jerry =E2=99=94