Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:02:52 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reset X without reboot

P. U. (Uli) Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de> types:
> Sometimes, when I open too many "big" applications on my
> desktop [StarOffice, Gimp, Mozilla] the mousepointer will
> point about an inch to left to the place I can click on
> the screen.
> Yet I have only found one way to repair this: Completely
> reboot my machine
> (neither gnome's restart desktop is of any help, nor
> [ctrl] + [alt] + [<--]).
> Is there any other way to reset this?

Have you tried restarting the X server? If you're using startx from a
shell prompt, just exit X and run startx again. If you're using ?dm,
you'll have to go to a different vty - with something like CTRL-ALT-F2
- use ps to find the X server, and kill it by hand. You'll probably
want to log out back to the ?dm screen before doing that.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.