Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:14:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, dan@langille.org
Subject:   Re: make world takes 7 days

In list.freebsd-chat Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:
 > 486DX at 1193182 Hz with 12288K bytes.

What's the clock speed of the processor?  Those 1193182 Hz
is the hardware timer rate, not the processor clock rate.
I don't think intel ever made 486's with 1.2 MHz.  ;-)

 > [...]
 > The build world started at 1100 on July 28th.
 > It finished at 14:53 on August 3.

That's probably because there's not enough RAM.  With only
12 Mbyte, it has to swap quite a bit during make world.
Put a bit more RAM into it, and it will be considerably
faster.

I once did a make world on a 486DX-33 with 32 Mbyte RAM.
Both /usr/obj and /usr/src were mounted via NFS (!) via
Ethernet (10 Mbps), because the box didn't have enough
local diskspace.

It took "only" 28 hours.

 > CPU states:  4.6% user,  0.0% nice, 10.7% system, 79.5% interrupt,
 > 5.2% idle
 >
 > Lots of interrupt.

Yep, probably because of swapping.  Poor box.  :-)
Only 4.6% spent for actual compilation -- a sure sign of
a misconfiguration (not enough RAM).

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
Addresses will change soon!!  If in doubt:  www.fromme.com

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)