Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:53:12 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
Cc:        Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: K5 clock speeds (Was: Re: K6-200 Has anyone ...)

>Thanks for the info. What you are suggesting is that the clock is the
>only thing that counts and moving the jumper to x2.5 is all that's
>necessary -- regardless of the bios. Why would ASUS issue a bios
>upgrade to support 150-166Mhz K5s? (Marketing?)

How could it be marketing?  They don't make money on BIOS upgrades.

I suspect it has to do with tuning the chipsets correctly to work with
the specific timing requirements of the K6.

I have an Asus P55TP4N, the Triton-1 board just before Triton-2 came
out.  I bought it originally with a Pentium 100MHz CPU.  It ran NetBSD
just great for about a year.

Later, I decided to put a Cyrix 6x86 P166+ in it.  I plugged the chip
in, and it booted, but it would get sig 11's constantly, and
eventually panic.  I wasn't sure if I had a bad chip, or a bad
motherboard, or what.  But verified it worked correctly with the
Pentium.

I was getting ready to send the Cyrix chip back when I checked the
Asus web site, and found that a BIOS upgrade was recommended.  I
downloaded the BIOS, flashed it, and rebooted.  The machine
consequently proceeded to give my over 90 days solid uptime, before I
accidently made my UPS shutdown while doing a reinstall of Win95 on my
NT/95/Decsent box.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.