Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 17:27:29 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with Soundblaster/CR-563 & FreeBSD2.2.1_RELEASE

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I a writing to ask your help with using a Creative Labs CR-563-B CD-ROM
connected with a 40 pin ribbon cable to the Panasonic connector of a
Soundblaster 16 card.

When I boot the PC with the 2.2.1-RELEASE boot floppy, the probe messages
report matcd not found at 0x230 (or 0x220, 240, 250 260, 270 280 when I try
changing the parameters in 'visual' mode).

The Soundblaster card also has connectors marked IDE, MITZUMI and SONY but
has no jumpers for port address. I have not used it with an other OS, so
while I think its OK I can't be sure.

Since the problem PC already has FreeBSD2.1.6-RELEASE on it, I built a
kernel with a "device matcd ..." line. When this kernel booted it reported
matcd not found at 0x230.

Thank you,

S Hopcroft
Australian Industrial Property Organisation