Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 1996 23:26:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: To pick a (perl) fight!

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Mark Murray wrote:

> Hi
>
> What are the reasons we do not now have Perl5 in the main tree? I have
> a query from one of our more perl-literate users who made the suggestion
> that Perl4 should be in ports/.
>
> What say y'all?

Perl and tcl ... two good utilities that are both going thru schizophrenia.
These have both gone thru recent upgrades, are both significantly more
powerful because of it, and cannot be migrated to because of tons of
legacy software that the newer versions are incompatible with.  To be
honest, I think perl will recover first, but I think it's true of both.

Perl 5 is in ports, do you really think we need _both_ perl and perl5?
Because I don't think we can dump perl yet.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.