Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:02:43 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hyperthreading in 4.8RC

I have an HP Vl420 (P4-1.6, i845 Mb).  AFAIK, this MB is not an explicitly MP
motherboard - it has only 1 CPU slot.  The latest 4.8 kernel seems to show me
that this CPU has Hyperthreading:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz (1594.10-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf12  Stepping = 2
  Features=0x3febfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM>

(Feature HTT == hyperthreading, according to identcpu.c).

So I added the SMP options (IOAPIC, SMP, HTT) to the kernal config and
rebooted.  It seems to be running OK, and I see lots of IOAPIC and SMP-like
things in the dmesg, e.g.:

	FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard
	 cpu0 (BSP): apic id:  0, version: 0x00050014, at 0xfee00000
	 io0 (APIC): apic id:  2, version: 0x00178020, at 0xfec00000

but I don't see the
	Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
message that I would expect, nor any reference to cpu1.

What does this imply?

Do I need an "official" SMP motherboard to take advantage of Hyperthreading? Or
do I need a XEON processor, not just a plain P4 (and if so, is the HTT Feature
is lying to me?)  Or is there some other magic I can perform to get it working
on the current hardware?

Can someone point me to an interesting document on all this?

Thanks!

Greg.